What is one of the most used – and overused – parts of the body?
If you guessed your knees, you are correct! Because this system of muscles, joints, and ligaments get used all the time for almost every movement you can think of, it is at an increased risk for injury, stiffness, and chronic pain.
There is A LOT of information out there about how to keep your knees feeling their very best. To be honest, not all of it is good information. That’s why I put together this list of the best ways to prevent knee pain.
You know me – I like to help you take prehabilitative and preventive measures to ensure that you stay in the best shape and live your most comfortable life!
Don’t let knee pain stop you – get ready for an active, adventurous summer!
- GET MOVING: I have said it before and I will say it again – motion is lotion! Achey, shaky knees are often craving some movement. Gentle movement – please do not go run a half marathon! Warming up the muscle group around your knees stimulates joint fluid and actually works to lubricate your joints. This makes movement more comfortable and less painful. Which is exactly what you want!
- USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR NATURAL PAIN RELIEF: Did you go on a super long walk? Good for you, get those steps in! If you’re feeling soreness in your knees afterward, try this. Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil to coconut oil or other carrier oil and rub on your knees. Eucalyptus and peppermint have properties that reduce inflammation and ease pain, making it the perfect natural remedy for stiffness and aching knees. It will be easier to get up and moving again in no time!
- CHECK YOUR SHOES: Make sure that your shoes are providing you with adequate support. Are your arches caving in? Do your heels feel supported? You are likely putting extra strain on your knees if your shoes are not supporting your feet. Without proper support, every step you take, every move you make will cause knee pain for you..! All joking aside, your feet need to be balanced in order for your whole body to remain balanced. When you’re imbalanced, it causes your knees to overwork or overcompensates, leading to that annoying aching feeling.
- A HEALTHY DIET IS THE BEES KNEES (pun-intended): Try to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet. Less bleached grains, more vegetables and fruits that have vitamins, C, D, and E – all of which combat inflammation in the body. If you eat fish, try to choose those high in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, mackerel, and tuna. Use turmeric, which is high in curcumin and proven to reduce inflammation, to spice up your cooking. I actually think turmeric is amazing on potatoes – par-boil, add to a pan with coconut oil or avocado oil, salt, turmeric, onions, garlic – fry it all up!
- INCREASE YOUR WATER INTAKE: Your body is never functioning at its best if it is lacking proper hydration. The body is made up of 70% water and most of your joint fluid is comprised of water. Actual liquid helps keep everything operating smoothly in your body, from digestion to detox systems, to muscle and joint movement. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water a day. Start every day first thing with a glass of water in the morning.
I hope this wellness wisdom helps you navigate and resolve some of your daily aches and pains. I am dedicated to providing the best service to each and every Yoga Prehab™ member.
Every level of skill, every level of fitness, everyone from every walk of life is welcome – that’s why I made sure to keep this program so affordable…
Personal training, physical therapy, and chiropractic visits add up fast! Plus, I know that for some people, going to doctor’s offices, gyms, and in higher-risk spaces is just an option right now.
Yoga Prehab™ is engineered to keep you out of the doctor’s office and doing more of what you love – for much, much less at ONLY $24.99 a month.
Plus, if you sign up for the whole year, you save even more!! Annual membership is $249, saving you $50 – that’s like getting 2 whole months of Yoga Prehab™ completely free!